I’ve been thinking about this a lot lately, because I’m always looking around in my real life for men who inspire me. In a purely literary way, naturally. (In case my dh is reading this.) While I never use people from real life as heroes, I do pay attention to qualities that I find sexy on the assumption that other women will too. There are the obvious ones we can mostly all agree on, like Hugh Jackman. Quite apart from his amazing good looks (can that poor man EVER make a movie without baring his chest? I’ve pretty much worn out my DVD on the bit in Australia where he pours water over himself. Now that’s romance porn.)
But I also love the other things I know about him. He’s got a wicked sense of humor, is happily married to an older woman (you go, girl!) and he sings. Aaah.
Then there is the opposite end of the scale. My favorite yoga teacher at my studio is Will. He’s a young psych major who I’m pretty sure is gay, but I love the way he moves and how comfortable he is in his body. He also gave me some of the best writing advice ever. He often says when we’re in a difficult pose, ‘whatever is in your way, is the way.’ I’ve discovered this is very true of my characters and if I’m sort of stuck, I’ll look at where they are in life and what’s blocking their path. That’s the hurdle they have to overcome.
While looks and physique obviously attract us, it’s not enough in the end. Here are the top five attributes that really turn me on. I think these are in order…
1. Sense of humor. A man who can make me laugh can make me do pretty much anything.
2. Considerate (good manners). I hesitated between putting Intelligence in second place, but I actually think a man who can get through dinner without spending half of it on his cell phone, who is considerate of a woman and her feelings is powerfully sexy.
3. Intelligence. And it’s not just being smart, now, is it? It’s someone who is well read if not well educated, who knows where Machu Picchu is (extra marks if he’s actually been there.)
4. Good with his hands. And I do mean handy around the house. There’s just something about a man who can fix a sagging front step or knows why the car conked out on the side of the road that’s endearing.
5. Passionate. He loves what he does. Whether he’s a software engineer or an auto mechanic or a cowboy, he enjoys his work. He’s equally passionate about his sports and hobbies, and about his woman. (U)
Well, those are my top five. At least they are today.
What are yours?