I confess. Today, I have bloggers block. I have now sat for thirty interminable minutes, staring at a blank screen, wondering what the heck I’m supposed to write about .

It’s very rainy, cold and gloomy here, and all I can think about is eating — mostly things that aren’t good for me, which is my traditional winter ritual. However, it’s only the middle of October, and I depress myself if I think that we’re hitting winter in October.

So, I digress — back to the block. I considered writing about my new cover (YAY!), but I didn’t see anything controversial in it, and I actually like the cover, although I think I always get the tilt-a-wheel covers, which sort of cracks me up, cause I’m thinking the art department sees “Kathleen O’Reilly” and immediately rotates the print thirty degrees (as you can see, we writers can find pretty much anything to complain about).

Midnight Resolutions
And then I considered writing about Halloween, but we haven’t put our decorations up yet, and I need to take my kids costume-shopping, which I’m procrastinating about. Sadly, I don’t want to face the fact that Halloween is creeping up ever so quickly, and before you know it, I’ll be hitting every craft store in the tri-state region looking for some obscure color of paint because we waited too long and I don’t dare send my kids out in a store-bought costume (the community’s equivalent of store-bought cookies at a bake sale). So, you’ll understand why I don’t want to talk about Halloween.

I could talk about books that I’ve read recently, but I HAVEN’T READ ANYTHING RECENTLY and frankly I’m a little grumpy about that.

I actually have watched a lot of television. The Bourne movies, which I enjoyed a lot, and we’ve been watching a lot of Law & Order, and Law & Order: SVU, but not as much as I’d like to, because we don’t have TIVO, which is first on my Christmas list. Last year, we actually got a TIVO player, but then switched over from cable to FIOS and we realized that we’d need the more expensive HD TIVO receiver, so we sent back my Christmas present and I did without, and when I think about it, I still get a little pissy, so you can see why I don’t exactly want to write about my TV watching habits, either.

I considered writing about balloon boy, but that starts me on a rant about the need for news organizations to actually, you know — investigate — before they put something on the air instead of relying on TWITTER for sourcing, but if I write about balloon boy, then aren’t I contributing to the very thing that I detest? Conundrum squared.

So, here I am, throwing myself on the mercy of the Blaze Authors Blog readers. Any good book, TV or movie recs? And also, best Halloween costume you’ve seen?

20 Responses to “Bloggers Block”
  1. Linda Henderson says:

My daughter has already bought my 6 & 4 year old grandkids costumes. He is going to be a pirate, she is going to be a princess. Their costumes are great. She bought them at T.J. Maxx, they have great buys there. I don’t have any Halloween decorations up either so I’m just as unprepared as you are. I’m currently reading Carly Phillips’s Lucky series and am really enjoying them. Tonight is my favorite TV night with Dancing With The Stars followed by Castle. I love Castle. Tuesday will be NCIS and after that the rest of the week on TV is pretty much whatever. Happy Monday.

• A pirate and princess sound incredibly cute! I miss those little kid costumes… I’m going to have to read the Lucky series! I’ve heard tons of recs about it.

I just watched the first couple of Castle episodes this season over the weekend. Very cute and fun. Loved the dynamics between the cop and Castle. I’ll have to check it out tonight.

2. Pamela J. says:

I think today I’m falling in line behind Linda.
    1- We have a party we have been invited to and no costumes yet for Halloween.
    2- I can’t be bothered to decorate this year for this holiday. On Trick or Treat night I’ll pull out my light up pumpkin and plug him in while I sit outside with the candy to greet the kiddos. So count me as unprepaired also.
    3- I have 2 of the 3 “Lucky”Series books read and the 3rd one is on my TBR pile.
    4- As for movies… LOL… What’s that? It’s been so long I can’t remember what they are.
    5- And I fully endorse CASTLE for Monday nights too!!! I Love me some Nathan any old time.
    And I’m admitting to a shameless plug here… Linda, they are threatening to cancel Castle as it’s ratings are dropping (they say…) If you really love this show, email ABC and tell them that on their contact page. Nathan can’t lose another series. The Castle fans just won’t allow it to happen! Please help us!!!! Anyone & Everyone!!!!

Thanks,
    Pamela

3. Julie Harrington says:

no movie recommendations from me — though the new Star Trek movie was really excellent. I’d recommend that on DVD once its out. Just a good, old fashion adventury space romp. Love those romps.

But TV, I’d recommend Psych (USE Network). Such a funny, quirky show. Burn Notice (USA Network) once it returns in January. I enjoy the reality cooking show called “Chopped” on Foodnetwork. The Mentalist has been pretty good this year, though I can’t figure out if I like the main lead male or not yet. Oh, and NCIS.

Julie

• Paula R. says:

Love NCIS…the new season started well. I really miss Jenny though.

Peace and love,
      Paula R.

• Kathleen O'Reilly says:

Julie

I LOVED the Star Trek movie and am eagerly awaiting the DVD. I’ve watched Psych a few times, more drive-by-watching than anything, and it never quite hooked me. I love the premise of it, though, so I should probably try again. I’m like you on the Mentalist. I think Simon Baker is a very much an eye-full, but again, it just didn’t hook me.

4. Jo Leigh says:

Hmm, no Halloween celebrated here. No kids, and the pets refuse to put on costumes.

I’m reading THE BOOK THIEF which is extraordinary.

As for TV, I’m a die-hard Criminal Minds fan, and this season is killing me with angst and needing Hotch to feel better.

Movies? Last one I saw and loved was 500 Days of Summer. Liked Surrogates, but that’s probably because I like Willis.

I’m also a Castle fan, so I’ll be emailing to keep that show going.

• Kathleen O'Reilly says:

LOL about the Pet costumes. I’ll have to look up The Book Thief and check it out. Love Mandy Pantakin, but haven’t watched Criminal Minds. If he does not say, “My name is Indigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die,” I am lost.

I saw 500 days of Summer and thought it was cute, but felt forgettable to me. Love Bruce Willis. If you liked the Surrogates, might want to reconsider. Sadly, I can really enjoy stupid movies if I like the characters (see Terminator, Air Force One).

5. Paula R. says:

Hey Kathleen, I think the topic you chose for today is well chosen. I found that you actually talked about a lot of different things…I have been reading alot…just finished Carly Phillips’s Lucky Break, which I loved, albeit not as much Lucky Streak. Currently reading, When Twilight Burns by Colleen Gleason, Covet by JR Ward, First Comes Love by Helen Brenna. I have been watching L&O:SVU, Army Wives…I can’t believe, Drop Dead Diva. I have also been checking out Castle this season and FlashForward, very interesting concept.

BTW Kathleen, when does your next Blaze hit the shelves? I like the covers they choose for you books too…it is like a siggie or a Brand…there you go, a whole other train to ride for blogging today.

Peace and love,
    Paula R.

• Kathleen O'Reilly says:

Hi, Paula. We just finished watching the yankees lose (BOO, Angels!) and House. Are you reading all those books at the same time??? I can juggle a couple, but usually there’s an alpha book that’s leadingg the pack :) Was curious about Covet. Not sure Angels (BOO, Angels) appeals to me.

Next Blaze is January 1, which probably hits the shelves about Christmas day. :)) It’s Midnight Resolutions. Thank you for asking, and I do like my covers, and it does seem to be sort of a brand. Very astute, you.

• Paula R. says:

Hey Kathleen, I am reading also those books together. I usually read about four or five of them at a time. Eventually, an alpha book pulls out to lead the pack. I actually finished reading First Comes TWINS today…I messed up on the title because I was looking at the cover of the next book in the series, Next Comes Love, when I typed my response. This series is a very light romance…I loved it though. The setting was beautiful and I could just picture it. Helen Brenna did a great job with it. Sometimes, if I am reading a book with the others, I go really slow, if I know that the next book isn’t coming out for a while. So, I make it a habit to buy the first two in a series…if it’s a new series I wait…

I heard that the Yankees lost to the Angels, but I think they have the next couple of games to go. They just need two more to take the series right?

Thanx for the heads up about your book. 01Jan is not that far away at all. BTW, I try to pay close attention to some of my fav author’s books.

Covet is really good. Do you read JR Wards Black Dagger Brotherhood books? Some of those characters make cameo appearances in this new series. I haven’t finished it yet, but I am trying to savor it for as long as I can. The next book isn’t out for a while. You should check it out. I think you might like it.

• Kathleen O'Reilly says:

LOL about reading together…. Must check out the First Comes Twins… I haven’t read Helen Brenna before. I’ve really been in a mood for good solid, no-frills romance recently.

Yankees are now done to one more game before they take the series. I’ve got my fingers crossed (Sorry, Angels fans).

I’ll check out Covet over the holidays. I read the first five BDB books, but I didn’t get the last one. I think I overbinged on paranormal and burned myself out, but I’d like to see what she does with the premise.

6. Liz Matis says:

So glad Fringe and House are back on – you have no idea.

7. I’ve only seen Castle once and didn’t see what the fuss was about. I think I’ll give it another chance tonight.

• Kathleen O'Reilly says:

Heather,

I watched a couple of episodes this season and thought it was cute with that same sort of Moonlighting chemistry between the two leads. There was a review in the paper today that said that it seems to be finding its legs in the second season, so if you saw last year, that might be the difference. And that Fillion character is pretty easy on the eyes. :)

8. Pamela J. says:

We appear to be quite a sisterhood here!
    We all read the same books, and watch the same tv shows. How great is that?
    As for movies, we do well with those too! And it seems that the same men pop up in everyone’s “hunky men” catagory.

It’s no wonder we all get along so well here! (*)

-Pamela

9. Nicole S says:

Just finished reading The Darkest Whisper by Gena Showalter. I loved it, now I have to wait until next summer for the next installment in the series. The waiting is probably gonna kill me lol

Got my costume already, I’m going to be a cat. Something simple.

• Nicole S says:

Forgot to say that I like your cover!

• Kathleen O'Reilly says:

Thank you, Nicole. I think a cat is a good, straightforward costume, and always popular. :) I’ve heard great things about Gena’s series. I’ll be sure to check it out!