Winner Announcement: Paula R.! Congrats, Paula

Or as I’m calling it these days, What The Hell Was I Thinking?

Last week, I looked up from my cozy lounging spot on the loveseat, across the room to my husband, who was cozily lounging on the other loveseat. We were in our happy place, chatting about nothing in particular, life rolling along in a good way, no major worries or stresses. And it happened. The dreaded words slipped out of my mouth. The ones I should have thought through, should have prepared a plan for first…

What were the words?

“We need to go on a date.”

Now my husband, being a doll, immediately said sure, great idea. I don’t think that response had anything to do with one kid screaming that the computer had crashed or the rottweiler that’d just jumped on his belly. I’m sure it was the lure of one-on-one alone time with me together that had him looking so eager. At least, I’m pretty sure.

Fast forward to last night, which is the next time the subject came up (the screaming kid and jumping dog derailed the original conversation, go figure). The dreaded question – what’re we going to do – came up. Why dreaded? Because our romantic date suddenly had a whole pile of restrictions on it. The earliest we could get a babysitter is 6:30. The weather sucks, so doing anything outdoors is definitely off the table. And budget constraints mean going into the city (San Francisco) for something fancy is out.

We did the whole “what do you want to do?” “I don’t know, what do you want to do?” thing. That’s always fun :-S

And then he suggested the ole standby… dinner and a movie.

Eh.

Don’t get me wrong, I love dinner and a movie. We actually did dinner and a movie on our first official date, so it holds a special place in my heart. But… I wanted a DATE, not eh date. Ya know? Except I can’t think of a single thing to do.

So I’m throwing the door open to suggestions – what, given the above constraints, would be a fun date? If I can get my husband to agree to it, whoever suggests the idea will get the book of their choice from my backlist (and if they have them all – besides my undying love and gratitude, I’ll send one of my buddies’ books). And thanks in advance (H)

36 Responses to “Date Night”
  1. Avery Beck says:

Hubby and I like to play pool, where I shark him for a few minutes and then he promptly kicks my butt (he used to be on a league). With some drinks thrown in, it’s a great time. (H)

Good luck deciding and have fun!!

• Tawny Weber Tawny Weber says:

Oooh, Avery, that sounds fun!! My husband does pool with his buddies every once in awhile. Me, I can’t play at all, but it’d be fun to go try, huh?

thanks ;-)

2. Molly Evans says:

Find a babysitter for an overnight, make reservations at a posh hotel.
    And sleep undistrubed.
    Now that’s sexy!

• Tawny Weber Tawny Weber says:

Ahhhhh, Molly. My absolute favorite date scenario!!! We always do this at some point in our anniversary month, usually exploring bed and breakfasts rather than posh hotels, though. Its always so romantic and relaxing!!!

:-)

3. Get the babysitter to take the kids to her house and then stay home. Cook dinner together over a bottle of wine and maybe rent the movie you saw on your first date. Then you could *ahem* see where it all leads. :-D

If you have someone that could take the rest of the family for a few hours… you could have a romantic indoor picnic, soft music, finger foods, a fireplace is a plus if you have one… etc… ;-)

5. Katie Reus says:

I think it depends on where you live but we live close to the coast (45 minutes) so for something different we head over there, walk along the beach, find a cool bar, and then just listen to whatever local band happens to be playing. Wherever you live though, I’m sure there are always local bands playing somewhere and you can’t go wrong with drinks and dancing :)

• Tawny Weber Tawny Weber says:

It’s pretty rainy and ugly here right now, Katie, but I am totally tucking this idea away for spring. A walk on the beach sounds glorious.

Oddly enough, most of the local bands that play around here are for the teen crowd. I’m glad we have some great venues and places for the kids to hang out, but… yeah, I’m looking old *g* I’ll have to do some research to see if there any over 21 gigs this weekend. Thanks!! ;-)

6. Fedora says:

Hi, Tawny!! Our dates are usually all about the food, so we like to try restaurants that we wouldn’t take the kids (i.e., too fancy or too spicy or too expensive :))

As for other date ideas… hmm… it might be fun to explore something together–if he’s up for it, to try a class for something new together (salsa dancing? poker? scuba? Indian cooking? skydiving?) or to go somewhere you haven’t before or haven’t in a while (a museum? walking in the park? motorcycle riding? horseback riding? roller blading? a concert? — oops! nevermind on the outside stuff–that can wait until summertime!) Maybe just trying a new bar or club? And something that we don’t get to do often but enjoy is just shopping together–not necessarily for anything in particular, but laughing at stuff together at the mall or even Costco or Best Buy can be good for giggles. If you enjoy live performances, you could see if there’s community theater or a high school performance.

And boy, Molly’s right–undisturbed sleep is VERY sexy :)

Anyway, I’ll have to think some more! (Ought to think about a date night myself, too! ;))

• Tawny Weber Tawny Weber says:

Ooooh, yes, lets spread the date-night bug :-) All the more romance in the world, right? Unless, like me, planning out a date is a lesson in frustration. I think thats one of the reasons guys get married- so they don’t have to come up with clever date ideas anymore LOLOL (kidding)

These are fun – so much great summer ideas, like you said. Well, except for the skydiving. I’m gonna have to pass on that one ;-)

• Fedora says:

I don’t blame you–I’d take a pass on skydiving, too! Heights and me are NOT a good match! And LOL–I do think that it’s hard work coming up with new ideas! I did just read an article in Redbook about trying to set up some at-home date nights–they did a few cute things, like having a beer/cheese tasting; playing Battleship (yes, the kids’ game!); doing a puzzle together; exchanging massages… I imagine it’s all about trying to step a little outside the box of your relationship, so whatever works to give you both a fresh experience and a renewed appreciation for each other is a good thing :)

Here’s a link to a bunch of date-night suggestions:

Sorry to rattle on so long!! Hope you’re getting some awesome ideas, and thanks for the inspiration for us, too!

• Tawny Weber Tawny Weber says:

Fedora, what a great article!! So many fun ideas :-) Hey, rattle away – you’ve got some great suggestions.

The only downside(s) of stay-at-home dates, even with the kids gone, is 1) the dogs. They are a PITA (case in point, while I was out today, Tinkerbell ate her dog bed. Just… ate it. *sigh*) and 2) neither of us have any discipline, so before long we’d be checking email, talking about repairs we want to make, etc… So while we do them every few months, they’re not quite as ‘dress up and make me feel special’ as they could be LOL ;-)

• Fedora says:

Urp! Yes, I think that stay-at-home dates are tricky, with or without kids/pets present! Part of the fun is a change of scene! Even if you’re just wearing your regular ol’ clothes, being some place different with your guy is fun!

7. kim h says:

that sounds fun

I say go ice skating and then share a nice cup of coffee together(B) (C)

enjoy the stars at niight and walk along the beach together in ablanket

pre valentine, give blood
    hope this helps enjoy your dates (Y) (W) (L) (C)

Hi Tawny,
    How about Disco Bowling or checking out a local band at the bar/club?

• Tawny Weber Tawny Weber says:

Jane, I’m definitely going to check and see if we have disco bowling around here. I know they used to do a midnight bowl for the kids with disco lights nd fun (can you tell I haven’t been researching adult entertainment in awhile LOL).

Off to find the entertainment section of the paper and see if there are bands around here that cater to the non-emo crowd (H)

9. sarah tormey says:

Now this might not work with your budget, but my favorite date is a couples massage. My husband and I tried it for the first time last year (I practically had to drag him into the spa) and we loved it. So we saved up our pennies and are planning another one for V-day weekend. The spa offers champagne afterward, which I’ll have to skip seeing as I’m expecting, but it still very romantic and relaxing.

I also recommend getting dressed up and going out to a fancy hotel bar for drinks. Splurge on one expensive drink each and then go to dinner someplace cheap. I always feel justified showing up a not-so fancy place if I’ve been somewhere else first:)

• Tawny Weber Tawny Weber says:

Sarah, first off CONGRATULATIONS!!!

We do something similar every year for our anniversary – dump the kids on relatives and take off for the weekend. More often than not we find a new bed & breakfast to explore in some quaint little town. Last year we did Monterey, though, complete with the champagne *g*

I absolutely love your idea about the drink!! Thats clever!! (H)

10. Paula R. says:

Hey Tawny, I see you are still researching ideas. A lot of these ideas sound great. I need to keep them on file for myself too. Sorry, I can’t come up with anything to help you out. I haven’t done much researching for adult entertainment in forever, so I completely understand where you are in that. Does the date have to be at night? Could you possibly set up a “chance meeting” sort of date, and go from there? You might do that already. Maybe you could do a non-date thing like Beckett and Castle…lol!!! Oh poop, it still doesn’t cover the babysitting part of your plan there. That’s all I got…good luck and have fun whatever you decide.

Peace and love,
    Paula R.

• Tawny Weber Tawny Weber says:

Oooh, Paula, I love the chance meet idea :-) Super fun!! LOL on the non-date like Beckett and Castle *g* Yeah, we do that a lot. We call it escape from the kids LOL, but like Beckett and Castle, its one of those non-fancy dress type gigs :-)

11. Laney4 says:

Hi! My kids are now in their early twenties, so my DH and I are just starting to get out without them. Sad in some people’s eyes, but we’ve enjoyed doing things as a family for many years.

We too have gone to see a local band perform at local pubs or restaurants. They aren’t always advertised. Just pick some good restaurants and phone them to see if they ever have bands perform. I think you’ll be surprised that they may cater to “older than teens”.

We now visit our friends more frequently. Sometimes I have a drink, but usually my husband does and I drive home. He gives me the choice, as I rarely drink but he doesn’t want to deny me on those occasions. Sweet guy, that DH of mine of 28.5 years. I’m sure there isn’t an ulterior motive, LOL….

We play cards at a neighbour’s place more often now too. We might even stay up, hold your breath for it, till midnight! For me it is not an imposition, but since my DH usually hits the sack around 8-10 pm, depending on his work shifts, we try to find something that will keep him awake. We went to a neighbour’s house for New Year’s Eve this year. When my DH looked like he was going to nod off, I just went and sat on his lap. Did the trick, I must admit, and was quite enjoyable for both of us (and the onlookers probably), as I’m 50 and my DH is 60.

When we were first married, we went to different Holiday Inns to celebrate our anniversaries. When our kids arrived, DH’s brother and wife babysat our kid(s) in our home (as we had air conditioning). We’d leave on Saturday mid morning and get back before supper on Sunday, so we only paid for one night. When we ventured out, we mall walked. As long as we’re together, that is the main thing.

Good luck with all the suggestions from everyone!

• Tawny Weber Tawny Weber says:

Laney, like you, I’m a big fan of family time :-) My kids are one of my favorite (albeit not cheapest) forms of entertainment LOL. I love that you and your husband have so much fun getting out – and wow, 28.5 years?!?! GO you!!! Lap sitting is so adorable, too ;-)

Great ideas! I ran the band concept by my husband and we started brainstorming places that we remembered used to have live music… eons ago *g* He’s going to make some calls.

12. Cathy W says:

Do you have a bookstore with a cafe nearby? You could go buy a crossword book/magazine or other puzzle-type book/magazine. Grab a hot cocoa or coffee and work on the puzzles together.

If the book/magazine is long enough, you could even save part of it for another date. One that is out , or even together in bed after the kids and critters are snoozing for the night!

13. Michele L. says:

Ok, since you need a babysitter to have alone time, it makes sense that your date is away from home. My favorite date ever with my husband was when we went to night clubs and danced the night away. We both love dancing, especially the slow songs where we are in each others arms. Also, we sit in a booth, order drinks with cherries, or ones that have fruit and feed each other. Ok this might gross you out but then we take a drink and swap our drinks in each others mouth. It is very sexy! We also play footsie under the table. All those flirty, fun things you do when you are dating. If it happens to be warm where you live, then you can go make out in your car afterwards. ;-)

14. Michele L. says:

Oops! I didn’t see that you have a budget constraint on your date also and the weahter is bad. So, revamping my original suggestion above, go to a restaurant that serves fondue. You can still feed each other the food since it is on long skewers, play footsie under the table, (ask for a secluded table or booth), order drinks if they have a bar, and steam up the car windows afterwards with some hot, lingering kisses. Remember, it is all about the alone time with each other. Hold each other’s hand when walking into the restaurant. When sitting together at dinner, whisper in his ear something sexy, lightly touching your lips to his ear with a kiss. Create a divine date you will both long remember!

15. Hey, what a great blog post! After years of family stuff, we’ve established Thursday nights as our date night. Last night, we went to the car show. Not really our thing, but someone gave us tickets and we were trying something different. Now I want a new car. When my son and his wife have date night, it means all electronics off and they have to cook and eat together and talk. Very wise of them.

• Laney4 says:

Heather, I am so LOL right now re “Now I want a new car.” You’re my kind of woman/wife! I bow to your wisdom.

• Tawny Weber Tawny Weber says:

ROFL on wanting a new car :-) Thats usually my husband’s line after we hit a Good Guys show.

Heather, that rocks that you have a weekly date night. I shoot for monthly, but it usually ends up being every other month, if that. And I love the idea of ‘no electronics’

16. Tawny Weber Tawny Weber says:

The ideas were all so great, we put them in a hat and drew one name for the book. Paula R, if you’ll email me with which book of my backlist you’d like, I’ll get that right out to you :-) Tawny@TawnyWeber.com