A benefit of living in tornado alley is the pretty brick mailboxes. I’ve posted a picture of mine on the right. This baby has come through 2 BIG tornadoes with winds exceeding 300 plus miles per hour. mailbox

You’d think the tornado is what scares me. Nope, what makes me nervous are the birds who like to make their home between the bricks and the bottom part of the actual box. If you look closely, you’ll see twigs, and what looks like a straw wrapper poking out as these industrious birds build their nest.

Bird attackI’m not ashamed to admit it, my big fear is that when I open the mailbox, I’ll startle what birds are living there and they’ll fly into me.

So, for years now, I’ve been making A LOT of noise as I approach the mailbox. Clapping, clearing my throat. Your basic idiot stuff – but it all worked. No bird attack!

Then it happened.

The bird got me. I felt the flutter of its feathery wings on my bare arm. But I had the kids with me, and I have a strong commitment to not giving them my phobias. So I sucked it up. But I shuddered and screamed inside. And as I am while writing this.

Of course in the big scheme of things, this isn’t a big thing to get over. That’s not always the case with our favorite Blaze heroines. Our brave ladies seem to fall into two categories – those who get over “something” in the book or those who’ve just gotten over “something” and are ready to hit life all over again. That’s what makes them special. (Okay, and there could be another type – feel free to add.)

What’s your favorite kind of Blaze Heroine?

10 Responses to “The Mailbox Can Be A Scary Place”

I like strong heroines….I am probably guilty of passing along phobias to my boys. I never thought about it that way…I try to remain neutral, but it doesn’t work.

2. Kristi says:

Last year we had wasps begin to build a nest on ours. *that* was freaky, partly because I was afraid we’d have a mailman who was allergic and our mailbox would actually off the guy. Luckily, when the weather got cold, the wasps moved out.

We seem to have trouble with birds building nests in our grill. They climb in through the vent holes and throw twigs over the coals. Clearly, they don’t get the irony of the situation, even when we have a tray of chicken breasts ready to cook when we discover their little love nests.

Good luck getting rid of (or at least avoiding) the birds.

Not sure which one kind of Blaze heroine is my favorite. Probably the kind who gets her HEA (or at least Happily for the Forseeable Future?) at the end :)

3. Virginia C says:

Jill, I am right there with you! I’d never open that box–my mail would have to be delivered by special courier every day : ) I have had a life long bird phobia. Something from my childhood. It’s the swooping and fluttering. I am an animal lover, and I would never deliberately hurt a bird. I’m not too sure how they feel about me!

I like heroines who are strong enough to stand up to a dominating hero. Ultra females who are the equal to Alpha males. Blaze heroines usually start out as “Ultras” or they overcome their personal doubts to become an “Ultra”. Whoo-hoo…either way, they have lots of fun!

4. Wow… bird phobia… I know there are phobias for just about everything, but I never knew anyone before who was afraid of birds. I love them, and we have them nesting all over the place, but I like it.

My mailbox can be scary, too, but with spiders — that’s my phobia. I have tried to work on it over the years. I don’t kill ones in the house if they are harmless, and have gotten to the point of not even bothering about daddy long legs… can even brush them away. However, if any spider appears suddenly, is on me, or “drops in” I will still freak out. LOL We get big garden spiders in the summer though, — they are huge, and kind of pretty, and actually don’t bite (that I know of) but they are so big. And they will build around the mailbox, and dangle from transparent webs in very tricky places… I’m always careful where I walk. But we did have one who spun a web right over one corner of our kitchen picture window, and I will say, she was fascinating to watch up close everyday — with the glass between us.

As for Blaze heroines, I love them facing their fears — mine have often reflected my own fears — heights, horses (not as much a phobia as an unfamiliarity — I would like to learn to ride, actually), etc. I think facing their fears on one simple level often functions metaphorically as they face their fears on another (sex/love, etc). But that’s just my take. :)

Sam

5. Jill Monroe says:

Haha, Samantha – I do enjoy viewing birds flying in formation or chirping happily in their nest…but try to avoid the whole dive bombing at my face out of fright situations (*)

6. Cathy W says:

Oooh, I’m with you!! I don’t like areas where critters *might* jump out at me. I don’t remember it happening to me to cause the phobia, but it is there!

I like my heroines to be strong minded, but not overpowering. I know I like more, but my brain does not appear to be able to put it to words today. :-O

7. Paula R. says:

JILL!!! How are you? It is great to see you here.

I like all kinds of Blaze heroines, as long as they are not TSTL characters. I like characters who just found their wings too. They didn’t have anything to really get over, but they want to do something.

I hope everyone is having a wonderful start to their weekend.

Peace and love,
    Paula R.

8. Nicole S says:

If you want to see some scared of birds it’s my grandma. She’s terrified of them. She can deal with them from a distance, but not up close. Personally I have a phobia of heights and spiders. When I swing I can’t go too high or my stomach gets all fluttery.

For my heroines I like when they have to get past/over something with help from the hero. I like strong heroines, but still vulnerable.

9. Alina Duffer says:

Ok so the mail box scares me but for a different reason, Wasps! One time I opened the box and stuck my hand in to get the mail and got stung by a huge wasp. My hand swelled up so much it looked like a softball. The doctor gave me some meds to help but my hand wasnt normal for over a week, and it was my right hand, the one I write with and everything else. It totally sucked, lol! So now I check the box before putting my hand in.

As for favorite Blaze heroines. I really like the tough girls, cause I am so not tough and I get to kinda live it with them while I read. I also like the girls who are coming out of their shell in one way of another. Those always make for good stories.

Have a great night! (*)

10. Joanne Rock Joanne Rock says:

Jill, I’ve had bats in the house before… you want to talk about scary! I appreciate bats for all the bugs they eat (a necessity in the mountains where I’ve been living lately!), but I reallllly don’t want them in the house. And they are so darn good at hiding in places I wouldn’t look that it’s tricky to locate them in order to move them out.

You’re a brave mom for not passing on the phobia… I’m pretty sure I pulled my hoodie over my head and screeched like a banshee whenever I’ve encountered a bat :-).