As I’m sure most of you know, the RWA Annual Conference is coming up at the end of the month. This is a time of much excitement for romance writers and editors alike, and this year will be my first RWA conference!

For the past few weeks, I’ve been trying to plan my time at RWA. My appointments are scheduled and I know when the main events are. It was strange and wonderful to have someone book a hotel and flight for me. Usually I’m the one booking things for others. :-)

Thursday night is packed! I’ll be going to the American Romance authors’ dinner, the National Readers’ Choice Awards, the PASIC reception and the eHarlequin pajama party. Friday morning I do my first appointments ever—nervous, who me? Friday afternoon I will of course be attending the Spotlight on Harlequin—I hope to see you all there. Friday night is the Harlequin party, which I’m told is a total blast. I can’t wait to party with the Blaze babes! Saturday I’ll be going to our Blaze authors’ lunch, PAN, and the RITA Awards ceremony. Plus, I’ll get to spend time with three of my authors: new American Romance author Leigh Duncan, fabulous Blaze author Kira Sinclair, and brand new Blaze author Meg Maguire. Trust me, you’re going to love her first book!

Do you have any advice for me on my first RWA conference? What are your favorite events? What workshops look good to you?

I’m very much looking forward to seeing those of you I’ve been emailing and talking to on the phone over the past four years. I hope you’re all as excited as I am about Florida.

Can’t wait to see you there!
Laura

14 Responses to “RWA Conference Time”
  1. Meg Maguire says:

Too exciting, Laura! I’ve attended a handful of regional RWA conferences and also last year’s National, and normally I’d be happy to lend you some pointers when we meet up… Except this time I’ll probably be so nervous I’ll end up scalding you with the coffee clenched in my shaking, white-knuckled fist. Okay, that’s an exaggeration, but I’ve been a Blaze author for all of a week now, and my capacity for excitement has been reached and surpassed ten times over from the recent news. Oh and watch out for me at the Friday night party—I’m unsteady in heels under the best of circumstances, and who knows what kind of threat I’ll pose when I’m star-struck.

• Laura says:

Hey, Meg. Great to see you here! Thanks for checking out my post. I’ll be sure to wear my waterproof body armor whenever I’m near you ;-). I’m really looking forward to meeting you, despite the threat of scalding coffee.

• Hooray! I’m not the newest BB anymore! :-D

2. Sabrina says:

This is my first RWA conference and I’m so excited. You sound like you have a plate full of events – I’m so jealous about the eHarlequin and Harlequin parties! Hopefully one day I’ll be there as a Harlequin writer myself!

• Laura says:

Hi Sabrina,

I get dizzy just thinking about all the things I’ll be running to. I’m sure you’ll find plenty of great events to attend, as well.

Best of luck with your writing! I hope we’ll see you at a Harlequin party one day. :-)

Laura

3. Hi Laura,
    Probably you’ve already heard: Comfortable Shoes! And make time to rest between events if you can. I’m an extrovert and LOVE all the people and excitement, but even I get exhausted eventually.
    I wish wish wish I was going this year. Will miss all the fun events and getting to meet new people and hook up with old friends, but I’m saving for next year in New York so hopefully I can meet you then!

• Laura says:

Hi Jillian,

Indeed, many have warned me to wear comfortable shoes. I may bring a few pairs since every shoe I have seems to give me a blister or two. At least if I have options I’ll get blisters in new places each day.

I think I’ll have a hard time finding a moment to rest between events, but I’ll do my best.

I wish you were coming to the conference this year, too :-( . I hope I get to go to New York and meet you next year!

Laura

4. pjpuppymom says:

Laura, you’re going to have such a good time! As Jillian said, comfy shoes are a must. Also finding time each day to rest and put your feet up. Don’t forget to bring a light sweater or jacket. It may be 100° outside but they keep it cold in those conference rooms. Also, when you register make sure you get your “first timer” ribbon.

My spreadsheet is filled with workshops, parties, meals with friends and appts. with authors and I’m looking forward to all of them! I make sure I leave at least one meal (usually breakfast) clear and look for a table of people I don’t know yet. It’s a great way to make new friends.

• Laura says:

Thanks for the great advice, PJ. :) I’ll be sure to bring lots of layers! I think I do have breakfasts free, so if you see a tall redhead wandering around looking lost, don’t be afraid to say hi.

5. Laura, get Bodyglide. http://www.bodyglide.com/#/products/anti-chafe Rub it on your feet and it’ll prevent blisters. But just in case, take Bandaids. Even the most comfortable shoes will make your feet sore.

• Laura says:

Thanks for the suggestions, Heather. I always try to carry Bandaids in the summer for that very reason, but I’ll definitely look into Bodyglide!

6. Tawny Weber Tawny Weber says:

Laura, conference is going to be great :-) My cure for sore feet is to hang out in the lobby and play hookie as much as possible (H) I can’t wait to hear what you think of conference by Saturday. I’m trying to remember my first time, but it’s all a blur.

Meg, welcome to the Blaze Babes!!! Congratulations :-)

• Laura says:

Hey Tawny,

When my feet are about to fall off I’ll come looking for you in the lobby and we can hang out. ;)

7. Buffie says:

Hey Laura! I’m a conference newbie too! This is my first one and I don’t know what to expect!! Sounds like a lot of fun. My calendar is filling up too. Seems like the later in the week the more things are on the calendar. Looking forward to meeting you there!