WickedSurrender-pagesBack at RWA nationals in Orlando, our keynote speaker Jayne Ann Krentz told us to know what our core story is. In other words, what is the story that always seems to appeal to you. It took me a while, but I realized that I just love giving my heroine the choice between two good but very different men. As in, would you choose security with a man who loves you or passion with the man who doesn’t? An easier life as a respectable woman or an exciting life of topsy turvy adrenaline in the moment?

I think it all harks back to my college romance where I had two guys, um…men, who were interested in me. The first was Simon who was a fellow extrovert. Being with him was exciting, passionate, and a huge roller coaster ride of exhausting fun/pain. The other was David who was like coming home to hot chocolate cookies and settling in for a nice night of good television. He was warm and accepting, and I was never more peaceful than when I was with him. In the end, I picked David and have never regretted the choice. But sometimes I wonder if Simon and I could have sustained something lasting. I think not. We were too hot as it was, and after just a couple months the lows were getting bad. Still, it’s fun to remember those hot college nights!

The heroine of my new historical WICKED SURRENDER has just that choice. Respectable marriage with a sweet man. (Well, in his case, he’s really more of a boy). And passion with someone who loves her with a kind of madness, whose touch excites her, and who is not offering marriage.

So tell me what you think! Have you ever faced a choice like this? One lucky commentor will get a Jade Lee book!

19 Responses to “Wicked Surrender!”
  1. Laurie G says:

Your book sounds fabulous. I too like this storyline!!

When I became engaged I had an old boyfriend with the same first name send me roses. Does that count? It was confusing for a day. I stuck with my man…still together 33 years later!

2. Laney4 says:

I never dated in high school. Had a few boyfriends in college (until they realized they couldn’t change my mind and get me to “do it”). Had a boyfriend for 1.5 years after college and amicably broke up in August. In September, I had dates with 10 different guys. It was amazing! I’d never had such a great life before!!!

But I realized that the one guy I was dating (since Labor Day Weekend) was more serious than the rest and I was sure he wouldn’t appreciate knowing I was dating other guys at the same time, so I dropped everyone but him in October. I didn’t realize it, but he bought my engagement ring in October and then presented it to me for Christmas that year. I was 21 and he was 31, so I wasn’t ready for that decision so quickly and requested a couple of weeks to reply. I made a list of why I wanted to be married, why I didn’t want to be married, why I wanted to be married to him, and why I didn’t want to be married to him. The reasons NOT to wed were MUCH longer than the reasons TO wed, but I realized on Day 2 that it was the quality of my answers rather than the quantity that made the difference. We wed in July of the following year and will be married 30 years next July.

I’ve had some Simons, but I chose a David. And I too have never regretted this decision.

3. Alina Duffer says:

Hi Jade! I have sort of had to make a choice like that one. I was kind of dating a Simon. He was a sweet talker who knew just what to say to get what he wanted. He played me big time! I met my David at the same time, but we were just friends cause I was so taken by Simon. Well my David stuck by me after I realized what an ass Simon was. My David and I started dating a month later. And were married a few months after that. We have been married almost 11 years now and still going strong!

The book sounds fantatic! Have a great day! (*)

The book sounds good. My husband is a “David”. I am not sure I would know what to do with a “Simon”. I probably would have liked it for a week and gone back to “David”. LOL.

5. Sabrina says:

Ha – I went with my “Simon”! I’m an extrovert and had been dating a “David” type and was totally happy with it. Then I met Simon and he made my life an adventure and everyday bright with laughter and love. I hated breaking “David’s” heart, but I knew instantly that my Simon would fill my life to overflowing. We’ve been married 9 years next month and every year just gets better and better! :)

Love the cover of your new release!

Book sounds great… love the drama of choices like that in books… for me, I would be more comfortable with a “David”. :-D

7. Katariina says:

The book sounds fabulous… love the cover. I am not married, but Simon sounds exciting. ;-)

8. Lois M. says:

Well, my first thought was, “oh, if only. . .” but started to think that it might not be such a good thing, or at least, always end well, in any sort of way. So, probably should be glad that no, nothing like that happened to me. But the idea of two hot guys liking you at the same time. . . okay, very cool. ;)

Lois

9. Cathy W says:

I fondly remember my ‘Simons’ from college and shortly thereafter. Great memories, and the ability to now think back and wonder “What if?”. I, too, chose a ‘David’, and I don’t regret that. He has a little streak of ‘Simon’ that comes out every once in a blue moon, though, so it keeps things interesting. :-)

Sounds like a fun book, Jade! Thanks for sharing!

10. chey says:

Never faced a choice like that. Sounds like a romance novel.

11. Scorpio M. says:

I have never had to make a choice like that. Can I try it now? ;-)

12. kim h says:

never had that choice, it is a tough one ipick david one
    congrats on teh book (L) (Y)

I married a Simon / David. He is wild, fun and passionate but also stable, loving and thoughtful. We will celebrate our 16th anniversary in October.

14. Tessa says:

Everything is too simplistic in Jade Lee’s world, too “black and white”. Good boy – bad boy, wild and exciting – calm and (sort of) boring BUT reliable. I am glad to hear that there are ones who found much more realistic “blends” for themselves.

15. Wow, what a choice, because sometimes, still water cans run deep, a man like David, can show his Simon side! So, I would chose David as well, stable, but moments of wildness. Perfect.

16. Congratulations to Cathy W! She wins a signed book!

17. Cathy W says:

Ooh, wow, thank you!!!

18. Traci Wood says:

I like the book. This is a wonderful story where the author, using her own personal journey, masterfully exposes the double standards of our society where sex, affection, lies and betrayal can peacefully coexist and lead to a comfortable long-term relation in one’s life. The book is very well written, and as is characteristic of the works of this author, reaches a broad audience of people seeking unusual experiences in their own lives. Furthermore, this story may be of interest to the admirers of Jade Lee’s writer talents and depth of thoughts because it gives a very good understanding of the author’s personality and journey through life. Highly recommended! Perfect Illinois experience!

19. Kathy Lyons, aka Jade Lee Jade Lee says: