Well, the words Monday and Fun may not go together very well, but I thought we could use a little fun to get the week off to a good start. So, I’m going to pop one of those fun (I hope) questions out here for everyone to answer, and if you do, you’ll also be in the running to win a backlist book of mine.

My husband announced to me the other night that his new choice for “another guy who would be cool to hang out with” had changed from Billy Bob Thornton (much to my puzzlement), to Bear Grylls, the adventure guy from Man Vs. Wild.

That got me thinking about who I would hang out with, male or female, just because I think they would be fun or interesting. The only rules are that they have to be someone current and in the world (so no historical or fictional figures). But past that, anything goes.

I would definitely hang out with Bear, as well — I love his show, and I’d love to listen to his adventures and survival advice (though maybe talking to his wife and family could be even more interesting, and I am not sure I would want to go on one of his adventures, as my husband would love to do).

But here’s my “official” list, in no particular order; these folks are all equally compelling and interesting to me:

Pauley Perrette — I really like her energy, and we both enjoy supporting various charitable causes. I would also love to hear her stories about being on the set of NCIS, and from what I have heard from her in interviews, I think we’d have a lot to chat about (and with any luck, maybe Mark Harmon or Michael Weatherly would stop by *G*).

Jason Crandell — my favorite online/Yoga Journal and DVD yoga instructor. Being a newbie to yoga, I would love to get some yoga instruction from an expert. Seems like a really nice guy.

Sue Grafton who is one of my favorite writers, and I would love to know what she’s going to do after Z.

Rick Bayless — I really like his Mexican cookbooks (and his Frontera salsa at the store!), and given his travels and experience, I’d love to spend a day cooking and visiting with him. He’s also into Yoga, so we’d have that to talk about as well.

Phil Keoghan or Jeff Probst — would be a blast to get the inside scoop on The Amazing Race or Survivor and get to know these guys a bit outside of their hosting roles.

So those are some of mine, though there are others that would probably come to me later. I’m drawing a blank at the moment, but I’m sure more will come to me.

Who would you like to hang out with? Share, and I’ll pick three winners to receive a backlist book of their choice later today (Virtually Perfect and About Last Night are the only ones not available, sorry).
Sam

24 Responses to “Who Would You Like To Hang Out With?”
  1. Meg Maguire Meg Maguire says:

It’s me, Meg, so don’t enter in the contest, Sam, but I totally know who I’d pick. David Attenborough! No contest. I could get my bird-nerding on hardcore and ask Sir David about the ten zillion places he’s been and everything he’s seen in his eighty-four years.

2. Laney4 says:

Betty White. She’s a real firecracker.

Had you asked me a year or two ago, I would have said Art Linkletter and/or Walter Cronkite. They still “had it upstairs”, and I always appreciated hearing what they had to say about anything and everything, especially when being interviewed on Larry King Live.

Now if you limited the list to hunks, I’m always going to mention George Clooney and Mark Harmon. There is a reason they have both been People’s Sexiest Men! For me, a lot of it is in their smiles. I just melt.

• Laney, Betty would be great to hang out with! I agree — probably a lot of fun, and smart too.

I’m with you on Harmon, who I’ve loved since I had him posted on my bedroom wall when I was a teenager, LOL, and I bet Clooney would be very interesting to talk to — he’s done some really off-beat and interesting things in the world, though he’s never been on my “crush” list largely because he’s such a bachelor. I like family men, I guess, guys who show they can commit, etc.

I also like Christian Slater, if we’re going to go that route. :) I’m thinking he’s a brainy guy, would be cool to chat with, and love his voice.

3. Patsy Roberts says:

Matthew McConaughey~ Why? Because he’s HOT and a little quirky. I think he would be interesting to talk to. Hey and if he turns out no to be , I could just sit back and admire his fine physique. I just would hope it would be right after he had taken a shower because doesn’t he have a thing for not wearing deodorant? LOL :)

4. Linda Henderson says:

I would love to hang out with some brialliant women so we could carry on some weighty discussions on world issues. Condelezza Rice, Madeline Albright, Elizabeth Dole, and Maria Shriver. I think we could have some great discussions.

• These would all be great choices. I especially like Albright, since reading that she raised 3 daughters as a single mom while working to get where she was. Add Michele Obama to that list for me, too. That would be some conversation!

Sam

5. ClaudiGC says:

I know it might be a bit of an odd choice but I’d love to talk to the Queen! She has seen so many things over the years and met so many people. I would love to question her all about her “royal” lifestyle and of course visit some of her palaces (and get to see more than a usual visitor). ;)

I would love to hang out with the dancers on Dancing With The Stars… get in a few lessons! ;)

Hi Sam,

What a fun question. Sue Grafton sets her books in a fictionalized Santa Barbara (my hometown) I really like her books and I would love to meet her.

Actually, I would love to hang with all the Blaze authors. You seem like a very fun group. And Lori and Tony could bring Baklava! The Harlequin Super Romance writers are also a fun group, as well as the Harlequin Intrigue authors. Since Julie Miller writes for both Blaze and Intrigues, I would to hang with her.

I would say a cute guy like Johnny Depp or Clive Owen, but that would only get me in trouble, so I will stay with the nice authors!

8. Kim Lyn says:

What a fun topic!! Hands down my number one choice would have to be Mike Rowe, host of Dirty Jobs. He’s done so much and seems like such a fun guy … I bet he’s an awesome storyteller!! I like that he’s educated and can spin random things into ordinary conversations. Okay, and I like that he’s not afraid to get a little dirty. ;)

If I was stranded somewhere, I would want to hang out with Bear, too. I would love to hang out with Jon Stewart and Tina Fey. They’re funny and intelligent and I imagine the conversation would be quite interesting.

10. Fedora says:

Meg, that’s BRILLIANT! I totally remember having to watch and summarize episodes of The Living Planet, and it was fascinating!

I’d also be interested in hanging out with Phil Keoghan, Alton Brown, and Tom Colicchio… (yep, into food :))

It goes without saying that I’d be all over hanging out with my favorite authors, of course!

11. kim h says:

:[ i have to say chealsea handler fro m chealsea lately or conona o briean

congrats on you books

Umm my favorite Taiwanese singer Jay Chou :) and some of my favorite Korean bands/musicians as well. (J-Walk, Humming Urban Stereo, etc.) that would be pretty much it.

13. Joanne Rock says:

I think I’d have to go with an athlete… maybe Hines Ward from the Steelers since he’s always smiling and I’m endlessly interested in football. Although, I have to confess the young hockey players seem like a great bunch. I wouldn’t mind visiting with some of the Penguins players who were so fun and engaging in a recent HBO special behind the scenes about hockey. Max Talbot, maybe? These guys are all hero material and I enjoy learning about the way that look at competition.

14. Claudia, I don’t think that is odd at all! She’d be fascinating! I always thought
    talking to Queen Noor of Jordan would be cool, too, especially since she is from the US, at least originally.

Colleen, I don’t watch that show, but I think they would be fun! :)

Tammy, you need to come to a conference and hang out with us :) Blaze authors are a
    fun group. :) And I think we should hold Tony and Lori to the baklava. *G*

LOL on the bad boys…

Kim, I love Mike Rowe. I don’t know that I’d want to hang out with him on his jobs, some of
    them are so gross, LOL, but I would love to meet him, definitely. Very
    interesting guy, and I think he was an opera singer at one point, or studied opera.
    And he’s so hot! :)

Jane, those are great picks — Jon Stewart definitely. He cracks me up, and is also really cute!

Fedora, hi! :) We should have a Food Network party. *G* Also, the best place to catch up with
    authors is at conferences — I love meeting readers at them, and hope I get to meet you guys on of these days. :)

Kim and Aurora — fun choices! :)

Hey Joanne! I just saw that no one had mentioned athletes — I know nothing of football, and the only name I recognized in your post was “Steelers” (sorry, LOL), but I am a baseball fan, and would love to hang out with the Red Sox! That would be awesome :)

This really is fun… off to pick winners, and I’ll be back with that…

Sam

• Kim Lyn says:

Definitely would have to meet Mr. Rowe away from the various job sites. And after a shower. Or several, depending on what he did that day. lol He did do the whole opera thing too. Seems he’s done a little of everything!! Annnnd … he’s hot. :)

15. Okay, using random selection of numbers (meaning I had hubby call them out from the other room, like I always do, LOL), the winners are:

Fedora, Laney4, and ClaudiaGC!

Email me at samhunter@samanthahunter.com and let me know which backlist book you would like, and I’ll get it right out in the mail.

Thanks for coming by, and we can keep throwing this question around just for fun — doesn’t have to stop here :)

Sam

16. Laney4 says:

Just sent my email. Many thanks, Sam, and congrats to Fedora and ClaudiGC!

17. ClaudiGC says:

Thank you, Sam! And congrats to Laney4 and Fedora!