On the tenth anniversary of 9/11, I will be watching the coverage of events at Ground Zero and remembering that day. Thinking about our fallen heroes today reminds me how important it is to celebrate the heroes who are still with us, too. And as a romance author, I thought it would be more appropriate for me to talk about those heroes on our blog.

After all, romance is all about love triumphing in the end. The whole perspective of romance focuses on the positive, building loving relationships in the wake of conflict. Ten years after 9/11, that’s the storyline I see for that horrible day. The losses broke our hearts and staggered a nation. But out of the rubble, we found the strength to heal. To overcome obstacles and build something enduring out of the ashes. In the weeks leading up to the anniversary, my heart is touched by the personal stories of lifelong bonds formed in the days after the attacks.

So maybe we could talk about our heroes today. On the Blaze blog, our romance tribute to 9/11 can be looking forward with love, embracing the heroes we have today even as we honor those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

One of my heroes is my sister, the pediatric intensive care nurse who cares for seriously ill or injured children. My sister does a hard job that’s emotionally draining, but she’s so good at it and her patients – and their parents – are so fortunate to have her. Her job is demanding and it has a high burn-out rate, but year in and year out, she gives her heart and soul to her job. She makes me proud and her sacrifice – coming face to face with heartache and pain every day – humbles me.

For my tribute to 9/11 heroes, I’m telling her how much I appreciate her hard work.

I’d love to hear about a hero in your life. I’ve got a double giveaway today – a copy of my latest Blaze, MAKING A SPLASH, will go to TWO random posters today.

27 Responses to “Everyday Heroes”
  1. EllenToo says:

My mother was my hero. I say was because she is no longer with us. She was the strength in the family because we moved frequently with my father’s work and she was usually the one to make sure the move went as smoothly as possible and convince three kids we would survive another move. My father worked for an oil company as a geologist and moving was a way of life and frequently he had to be in the new town before we actually moved.

2. Joanne Rock Joanne Rock says:

While we appreciate our moms when we are children – in the whole-hearted, loving way children can – we gain new perspective on how much a mother works and sacrifices as we grow older. It sounds like your mom was an expert at smoothing the way for her family!

3. Gale Sroelov says:

There is a young man who was thrust into a spotlight on 9/11. He struggled with the weight of the title of “hero”. I was fortunate enough to meet him a few years after that fateful day. On this tenth anniversary, I am happy to say that he has flourished, after much inner angst, and now works to give back to his hometown, to help us become a better place to live. He is an inspiration to his friends and a joy to his family — who feel immense love and gratitude that he made it out alive. He is my hero because he struggled to find his own place in the changed world. You go, John! You deserve much happiness and good health.

4. Paula R. says:

Hi Joanne, this is a great blog. I salute the heroes of today, but it’s very hard for me to not focus on those we lost that day. Today is very difficult for me emotionally, and I’m just trying to make it through. We did a short ceremony in remembrance and in honor of those who were lost as well as those who helped during the tragic events of today. It still feels so fresh to me.

I salute your sister as well. I don’t think I would be able to do what she does. I hope all is well with you. Sending you cyberhugs.

Peace and love,
    Paula R.

• Joanne Rock Joanne Rock says:

Thank you, Paula. It was certainly heart-rending to hear the names. But I like the idea that we spoke them all aloud to remember them. It was a powerful way to recognize them.

Listening to the family members reading off names for 9/11… very emotional… oh boy, trying not to cry…
    My heroes, first my grandmother… she was the best, my rock, made shy me feel like I was something truly wonderful and loved. Miss her…
    Second… my father, growing up and seeing him being both a cop and a volunteer firefighter… hearing all of his stories, all of the good that he and his fellow cops and fire fighters were able to do…

• Joanne Rock Joanne Rock says:

A great blessing to have such special people in your life, Colleen! Thanks so much for dropping by and sharing your heroes here. I think we are all the more called to love each other in times of loss… it’s like a cosmic wake up call to hug close and honor al that we hold dear.

6. shadow says:

my mom is my hero. she is an amazing! shes always there for me. i can talk to her and go to her about anything. she encourages me to chase my dreams. any mistakes i make, shes there to talk me through them and fix them. i love my mom. shes my best friend. :)

• Joanne Rock Joanne Rock says:

I’m sure she’s so proud you! I know it would make my heart sing to hear my boys talk about me in such glowing terms :-). Maybe one day… when they forgive me for taking away their video games . Thank you, Shadow.

7. Maria Connor says:

While I acknowledge the importance of events like the 9/11 Memorial and other formal ceremonies, we are surrounded by everyday heroes whose bravery, dedication, persistence, resourcefulness, generosity, talents and tolerance go unnoticed and, sadly, sometimes unappreciated. I’d like to recognize a few of my favorite heroes:

- My mom, who has honored her commitment to my father, despite the loss of his essence 17 years ago due to early onset Alzheimer’s when he was only 52 years old.
    - My sister and her life partner for setting an example of true love with their 22-year relationship.
    - Single mothers! Enough said.
    - My writing peers who never gave up and achieved publication.
    - My SO (significant other) for proving to one very distrustful woman that there are men in the world with the strength of character and deep enough hearts to love others’ children as if they were their own.
    - Those who are disabled or live with chronic health conditions yet find the strength and grace to get up every morning and lead fulfilling lives.

8. carole says:

My cousin is my hero, he fought in Viet Nam, came home for his calling was to become a priest, at that time I was about 12yrs. old and he was so cute…he served God for many years until when he realized that priest were molesting boys and he wanted out, so he quit being a priest and started helping others from abuse women and children. With the help of my mom and manh others he bought a 3story house and that was just the beginning. When desert storm started he went over there to give the soldiers alittle bit of God but mostly support and moral. He’s been helping others in many areas, hurricane Katrina and other things. He’s been over to visit all his soldiers friends with care packages and goodies, he’s put me and my daughter to work and it makes me feel good, that I’m doing something and not just sitting on my butt. Sam has just a good heart and I know even though his mom was upset about leaving the church, I know after 3oyrs. both my mom and his are proud, he’s just serving God in a different way. He surprized us for a visit but off he went to help with hurricane Irene, grabbed supplies and packed his van to the top…thats Sam, he’s even helping me for I’m unemployed and I hate fo ask for help…he lectured me but thats me…help my daughter, I can go without! I love him dearly…he’s my hero!

• Joanne Rock Joanne Rock says:

Some people’s generosity of spirit is truly amazing. Sam sounds tireless in his dedication and very selfless to put others first. No wonder he’s your hero, Carole!

I really admire my mom. She takes care of everyone in the family; me, my sister, dad, my grandparents, she makes time to create delicious meals for us, and she’s always there to listen to us.

I admire my family, but also my friend who is in the National Guard. He’s always there when we need him to for anything whether it’s a ride to the airport or pick up something from the store.

11. Linda Henderson says:

My daughters are my heroes. They were always helping when they were growing up because it was just the three of us and they knew things were tough and wanted to make things easier for me. They are grown now with families of their own, but they still make sure I’m alright. My oldest daughter showed unbelievable courage when she had a 23 week baby that spent 4 months in the NICU. She was so strong through all the uncertainty of whether the baby would make it or not. I’m very proud of her. My youngest daughter took me in after I lost my apartment May 22nd in the tornado. She made room for me and we are having the garage turned into a room for me. I’m very proud of her too.Whether I ever did anything else to be remembered for, I raised two wonderful women.

12. Kimh says:

My parents who do everything for us an dmake sure we are happy and healthy

Hi Joanne,

My hero was always my Dad. Sadly, he passed away in 1998. I always looked up to him and respected him. I wanted to be just like him. One of my favorite pictures was taken when I was 2 or 3. My Dad is shaving and I am standing next to him using my plastic whale to pretend shave. My Mom used to call us Pete and Repeat.

• Joanne Rock Joanne Rock says:

What a sweet photo, Tammy! I’m sorry to hear that you lost your dad early. I hope the shaving picture is on your mantle or somewhere you can enjoy it often… it sounds like a precious memory :-).

14. Lovely blog, Joanne, and lovely tribute to your sister. I appreciate the reminder to appreciate and celebrate the heroic in the people around us!

15. Joanne Rock Joanne Rock says:

Hello my friend! Thanks so much for stopping by!

16. Joanne Rock Joanne Rock says:

***Winner*** Our thread winners are Gale Sroelov and Maria Connor. I will email you privately, but all you need to is drop me a line with your mailing address at jrock008@gmail.com and I’ll ship off a book ASAP.

Thank you so much for sharing your heroes here with me! I’ve enjoyed celebrating their strength and dedication as we honor the heroes who’ve gone before us.