I was going to do a blog about Halloween candy and that I don’t have kids at home anymore. (Sniff) Which means I can’t steal their candy anymore. (Waaahhhh!) But I’ve got a bigger dilemma on my hands.

For about 8 years, we’ve lived happily with two cats – a boy and a girl. Sadly, the boy is gone now. He went out one day (I have indoor/outdoor cats) and never came home. I’m pretty sure he’s never coming back. And yes, I have cried some big tears over that.

But now I’m left with a petite girl cat named Tali who may be small, but she’s quite the huntress. She’s 10 years old now (or is it 11?) And maybe she’s lonely without the other cat. She’s certainly been more loving and a whole lot more demanding. But I don’t know about introducing a new kitten into the house.

The primary problem is that I travel a LOT. So I can’t sit at home and make sure new kitty knows about litter boxes and the like. But on the other hand, Tali will probably be very lonely without us at home when we do travel. And of course, the worst case scenario is if the new kitty and the old one do NOT get along. OMG, that would be AWFUL!

So…give me advice, give me stories! Have you managed to introduce a new cat to an old one? Was it okay or a disaster? Tell me, tell me! I’m dreaming about new kittens almost every night. (Apparently, I want a new kitty). Anyway, one random commentor will get a copy of my newest blaze In Good Hands by Kathy Lyons.

12 Responses to “Need Kitty Advice! Help!”

Hi Kathy,

Your cats are adorable, I am sorry for your loss. When I was a kid, we had two cats – both girls, and when one died, we got a new kitten and it worked out great. Your cat already likes cats and that is half the battle. We have 3 cats now. The oldest cat hates our other two cats and she hisses at them. Her name is Diva and she doesn’t like other cats. We got her as a kitten from a rescure shelter.

2. Linda Henderson says:

I think a lot of it depends on the temperament of your older cat. I haven’t had cats for a few years, but sometimes I could bring a kitten home and it was okay, other times not so much. I would suggest if you know someone with a younger cat to bring it over for a visit to see how it goes. Sorry I can’t be more helpful.

I’m not sure if this is applicable, but my younger sister has two dogs which she got from rescue center. I think she felt that perhaps her first dog was lonely for companionship, (the first dog is with her for two or three years now…) so she got a new dog. She mentioned that the older dogs get the less likely they will be hostile to other dogs. I don’t know if cats work the same way.

I don’t have any cats…But yours are so adorable!

5. Giora says:

Your cat is very cute. Did you put a cat in a storyline of any of your book? Maybe the heroine in your next book can have the same conflict that you describe here. Best wishes from canada.

6. Kathy Lyons, aka Jade Lee Jade Lee says:

Actually I’ve thought about putting cats into my story. Hmmm…have to think about that one. Come on all…your advice has been great so far, but I need more help!!

7. Brenda Chin brenda says:

Hi Kathy. Did you ever think about getting TWO other cats? You might want to consider getting a young mother and a kitten. That way, if the kitten is too rambunctious for your 10 year old (this was the case in my house – my older cat started screaming as soon as the kitten looked at her), then the mother (who might still be a baby herself), can keep it busy. Just a thought. I’ve got 4 cats and I know from experience that getting the dyamics right can be tricky.

8. Kimh says:

No pets the are so cute lol have book

9. Nicole S says:

My grandma had two cats then the one passed away. Yoshi got more lovable and wanted more attention, but when the kitty first passed away he would cry at night looking for Phil to play. It always broke my heart, especially when he’d look all over the house for him : ( Two years later the stray cat at my house had some kittens (got her fixed now) we kept 3 and my grandma took one. Let me tell you those two would not get a long, Yoshi growled every time Melky came in the room. Once Melky got to be bigger and not a kitten anymore those two are buddies. Yoshi was 13 when the new kitten came so he was slowing down, but Melky gave him so much more energy. I’d say Melky has given him some more years on his life.

I got this book in the mail recently, so maybe I won it??? Never got an email about it.

11. Nicole S. won In Good Hands from this blog.