I decided to give up making New Year’s resolutions. I know, you’re wondering what took me so long. Like a lot of people, I see the New Year as a fresh start and a chance to make positive changes in my life. And the resolutions work, well in a way.

I did complete one of my resolutions by finishing my Master’s degree in Humanities. And I sold a series of steampunk books, which was my resolution to write outside my comfort zone. I didn’t lose much weight, but I did lose some. And I never made it to Paris.

This year I’m trying something different. I’m writing down fun things I want to do. Here’s what I have so far, but the list is something I plan to add to as the year goes on:

1. Finish office makeover

2. Learn French (read 3) at least enough to ask where the bathroom is, and how to find my hotel if I get lost

3. Go to Paris in the late fall

4. Read a book a week (when I’m writing as much as I am right now, that’s a tough one)

5. Spend more time with my favorite people

6. Ride a really scary roller coaster

7. Make a music video

8. Sleep more

9. Learn how to relax (I honestly don’t know how.)

10. Find one fun thing to do every single day that makes my heart lighter.

So that’s it, so far. It’s not a particularly great list, but it’s mine. :)

So what fun things to you have planned for the coming year? What are some fun things I should think about adding to my list?

9 Responses to “New Year’s Fun”
  1. Donna McClure says:

Hi Candace,

I’m not a driven person so I have never been able to understand why it can be hard to relax! Sorry. Now that I am retired relaxing is one of the things I do best. :) I have no qualms about putting something off until I get around to doing it! I do get bills paid on time, make it to doctor appointments that sort of thing but I can ignore housework & other chores almost forever!! I can always find time to read, spend time with family & friends or do something spontaneous. In fact, spontenaity is something else I’m very good out. If you were around me I could be a bad influence. :)

I love your list. I don’t make resolutions & have not for a long time. The only goal I have is to stay as healthy as possible & enjoy life as much as possible.

• Candace Havens Candy Havens says:

Donna, I envy your ability to relax. My mind never stops and I always “feel” like I should be doing something. :) I am good at ignoring those household chores, though. :)

2. Donna McClure says:

P.S. I forgot to say “Congratulations” on finishing your Masters degree. That is quite a task at anytime. :)

3. Heather Long says:

I love your list. I don’t make resolutions either, I make plans. So I made a shorter list, but I imagine it will grow through the year. Among my plans are to read more (definitely need more hours for that), spend more time with friends and family and learn to something I’ve never done before…haven’t quite nailed down the ‘something’ yet. But I have some ideas! Thanks for sharing Candy!

4. I too wish you Congratulations on finishing your Masters degree. I plan to up the number of 5k runs I do this year. I plan to make time to have more fun with family and friends.

5. Alina D says:

Hi Candy! I love your resolutions. I didnt make any because I think they are to easy to break. Instead I am going to focus on things. I guess its the same thing, but if I don’t call them resolutions I dont feel like they are such a pain, lol! So I am going to focus on my writing, my cake business and my family. I hope to get my daughters room finished and our home office built. I also hope to finally get our garage organized and take back my bedroom because everything seems to end up in there. And of course there is always the lose weight thing, but really it will all happen in time. SO my plan is just to not stress. We will see how it goes, lol!

Have a great night! :)

• Candace Havens Candy Havens says:

I’m going to take back my bedroom too! It’s not that bad, but I want it to be more of a sanctuary. More restful. I hope you’ll do the same for yourself. :)

oooh, so jealous….Paris is so beautiful! I went there two years ago and am DYING to go back. BTW, to ask where is the bathroom you say: ou (ooo) est (eh) la toilette? My 9 year old thinks that is so funny (why, I don’t know).

Most people in Paris (taxi drivers, for example) speak English at least broken English. You will have NO problems (my French was super rusty and for the most part, they love speaking English). I would get a book on foods, though.

Dreaming of the Effel Tower!