In my May 2014 Blaze, Wild Weekend, Christine discovers her decade-old bucket list with nothing crossed off. She’s giving herself a weekend in Vegas to accomplish one goal from that list. However, Travis is proving to be a major distraction. Christine promises herself that when she crosses off one goal, she’s going to add a wild night with Travis to her bucket list. Talk about motivation!

While writing this book, I did some research on bucket lists (aka dream lists or life lists.) I enjoyed reading what people wanted to do. Their lists were inspiring, adventurous and fun. But there were a lot of ideas that will never show up on my bucket list.

Yes, I have a bucket list! In fact, I’ve had several over the years. The first one was a school assignment in the 7th grade. We were required to list one hundred things we wanted to do in our lives. I have no idea what happened to that list, but I’m sure most of the goals would no longer interest me.

I made another list right after I graduated from high school. My friends and I got together one night and wrote down where we planned to be ten years from that moment. But instead of keeping our lists, we did a time capsule kind of thing. So imagine our surprise when, ten years later, my twin sister sent everyone their list. Did I accomplish anything on my list? Did anyone in that group? Not even close!

A while back my sister and I were talking about those bucket lists. It was the lack of my accomplishments that inspiredĀ Wild Weekend. But that bucket list failure didn’t keep me from creating another one. Instead, it made me put together something more focused and realistic. One of the entries was writing for Harlequin, so this list is definitely more successful!

Will I complete this list one day? Probably not. It would help if I stop adding more goals, but I like chasing down big life experiences.

Do you have a bucket list? Leave your answer in the comment section before January 30, midnight Pacific Time. One commenter will win a $10 USD Amazon e-mail gift card. Good luck!

**UPDATE: Congratulations to Tammy Yenalavitch! Her name was randomly chosen to receive the Amazon gift card. Thanks to everyone for commenting!**

13 Responses to “Bucket Lists”
  1. Maureen says:

I never heard of the term “bucket list” until I came across a book called “Have You Filled a Bucket Today?”, a kids” book. I love that story about encouraging kids to appreciate and be kind. I hate to set up a list of things I want to achieve as the feeling of failure is hard to accept.

2. Mary Preston says:

I don’t have a bucket list, but since I intend to live until at least 100 I figure I have time. (We live a LONG time on both sides of the family.)

3. Laney4 says:

No bucket list for me. My “goals” change all the time, depending on my family’s needs. I just keep plugging away at them, but there’s nothing out of the ordinary on that “list”.

4. Lori says:

Kinda. It’s not written down but more so in my head. Some of the things I’ve completed are as follow: ride in a blimp, ride in a glider, ride in a hot air balloon, go on an African safari, fly over the Nasca Lines, visit Machu Pichu, and perform a NASA experiment in space (no I am not astronaut and BTW many experiments are not performed by astronauts but by a ground crew remotely).

I do not have a bucket list. I do have some goals though

Mine is more in my head, too. Like: “go to an Olympics” (should have done that one when the Olympics were in my backyard in Vancouver), “African Safari”, “Tahiti”, “Michu Pichu”, back to Australia and go to NZ,….of course, go back to Europe….of course, I also want to do all of the Disneylands (yes, I am a Disney geek).

7. Jen says:

I have a list that grows so long, I may never finish!

8. Patsy L Roberts says:

I have one sort of. I accomplished what I really wanted which was to publish my book. Then I followed up with publishing the second book I wrote with Amazon Publishing. I am happy with it although my second book turned out aesthetically better because I learned so much from my first go around.

I have never actually stopped and made a bucket list… there are a few things that I dream about… we will see if they ever come true.

10. bn100 says:

Not really

11. Marcy Shuler says:

I’ve never had a bucket list. If I was single and younger I bet it would be fun to have one though.

12. Kimh says:

Travel more would br great, congrats on new boos :)

13. Laurie G says:

I’d love to visit all of the US National Parks.
    I’d love to visit Hawaii and Europe.
    I’d love to be able to read all my books!